St. Kitts and Nevis have made significant commitments to protecting the federation’s resources as signatories to international conventions and through policy statements, legal and institutional instruments, recent environmental programs, and financial support of conservation activities through budget allocations. The federation have also recognized the importance of establishing protected areas as the primary method of preserving biodiversity and conserving valuable natural resources assets. The OECS Secretariat through its Environment and Sustainable Development Unit (ESDU) implemented the OECS Protected Areas and Associated Sustainable Livelihoods (OPAAL) Project 2010. The outputs for Component 1 of the OPAAL Project addressed Policy, Legal and Institutional Arrangements Reform within PMSs and included eight goals. This National Protected Areas Systems Plan for St. Kitts and Nevis was implemented under Goal v:“updated or new national PA System Plans”.
Click here to download the Protected Area System Plan for St. Kitts and Nevis 2010
Objectives of the Protected Areas Plan
The following are the objectives of this study and report:
- To present a practical, time-frame specific phased approach to implementation of the Protected Area Plan;
- To provide the full range of required resources and capacity building for establishing and managing the system;
- To recommend means of financing the operationalization of the plan;
- To indicate the level of priority for each of the proposed system components;
- To provide a means to monitor and evaluate the system and its effectiveness over the
- Timeframe of the plan; and
- To provide the proposed boundaries of the sites being proposed.